I made this for a family gathering and everyone raved about it. It's a fun recipe to grill for a crowd and can be adjusted according to everyone's favorite sandwich fillings. —Tammy Kriz, Marshall, Minnesota
Featured In: 45 Surprising Foods You Can (and Should!) Grill
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 loaf (18 ounces) unsliced Italian bread
- 6 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 6 ounces sliced cheddar cheese
- 1/3 pound sliced deli roast beef
- In a large skillet, saute peppers in oil just until tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the butter, mustard, chives, garlic and pepper flakes.
- Cut bread into 1/2-in. slices, leaving slices attached at the bottom. Cut loaf through the two center slices, separating loaf into two halves. Cut off and discard end slices. Place each loaf on heavy-duty foil coated with cooking spray. Spread butter mixture between every other slice. Alongside buttered slices, insert cheese, meat and peppers, using provolone cheese and salami in one loaf and cheddar cheese and roast beef in the other.
- Wrap each loaf tightly in foil; place on grill rack. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Using a serrated knife, separate sandwiches. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Italian Sandwiches in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p210