If you’re a guacamole lover, try this fun grilled version that gives it a smoky flavor. The veggies tend to darken a bit when heated, so stir it gently to prevent further discoloration. —Lindsay Sprunk, Noblesville, Indiana
Featured In: 32 Addicting Avocado Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 medium ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
- In a large bowl, combine onion, tomatoes, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil; gently toss to coat. Grill, covered, over medium-high heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-8 minutes or until tender and charred, turning occasionally. Brush avocados with remaining oil. Grill or broil avocados, cut side down, 4-6 minutes longer or until charred. Cool vegetables completely.
- Chop onion, tomatoes and pepper; set aside. Peel avocados; transfer to a large bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in vegetables, cilantro, lime juice, cumin and salt. Serve immediately with chips. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Guacamole in Grill It Bookazine 2016, p92