Grilled Fruit Skewers with Chocolate Syrup
With toasted angel food cake and chocolate syrup, this recipe makes fruit seem especially decadent. It's the perfect treat for a summer party. —Melissa Birdsong, Gilbert, South Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups cubed angel food cake
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 cup cubed cantaloupe
- 1 large banana, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium plums, pitted and quartered
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 teaspoons chocolate syrup
- On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread cake cubes and fruits. Spritz each skewer with butter-flavored spray and roll in brown sugar.
- Place skewers on a piece of heavy-duty foil. Place foil on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until fruits are tender, turning once. Drizzle each skewer with 1 teaspoon chocolate syrup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 131 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Grilled Fruit Skewers with Drizzled Chocolate Syrup in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010