- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 large ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 4 green onions
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix garlic, salt, rosemary and oil; rub over both sides of steak. Let stand at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, brush corn, onions, tomatoes and poblano with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill, covered, over medium-high heat 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are charred and tender, turning occasionally.
- Grill steak, covered, over medium heat 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand 5 minutes.
- When corn is cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cobs; place in a large bowl. Remove skin and seeds from tomatoes and poblano. Chop onions, tomatoes and poblano; add to bowl. Gently stir in avocado, vinegar, salt and remaining oil. Thinly slice steak across the grain. Serve with relish. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forGrilled Flank Steak with Summer Relish
"This was a great way to use all of the veggies that we picked up at the Farmer's Market. We had a beautiful weekend so wanted to get in another taste of summer before the cold weather rolls in."
"Just put the last bite of this winning dinner in my mouth and my husband and I loved it! Had to use a flat iron steak since my grocery had no flank steak available, but actually the flat iron cut was so amazingly tender, I might use it in this dish from now on. The veggies had such a mild smokey flavor that blended in with the meat and yet not too smokey. The colors on the plate were beautiful as well. I did add twice as much salt to the veggie mixture before serving as called for but that's a personal preference. This one will stay in my Recipe Box--thanks, Brenda!"
"This was absolutely delicious! The whole family enjoyed the great flavors of the relish. I did leave out the poblano, and we substituted skirt steak for the flank. Great recipe!"
"I also loved the grilled vegetable relish. It pairs very well with the garlic and rosemary flavors on the steak. I'd suggest checking your steaks for doneness at the earlier time, as 8 minutes per side may be too long if your steak is thin."
"The summer relish is so good. I just love it. I followed the directions exactly and ate it as salad itself. I am making it again and again."
"This recipe has all the flavors of summer. The relish was really bright, fresh, and paired very well with the steak."