- 3 pounds small red potatoes (about 30), quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- Minced fresh chives, optional
- Toss potatoes with oil, salt and pepper; place in a grill wok or basket. Grill, covered, over medium heat 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl; cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix dressing ingredients. Add dressing, eggs and celery to potatoes; toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered, 1-2 hours or until cold. If desired, sprinkle with chives. Yield: 16 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews forGrilled Firecracker Potato Salad
"I love this recipe--it's tried and true--I've used it for years using both roasted spuds or traditionally boiled w/skins on then peeled. I like that it can be cut by 1/2 too. I divide it and leave out the Cayenne on a portion for those like myself who react to hot peppery condiments. We regularly add chopped Sweet Onion (white, vidalia, spring onions, even purple but not yellow) directly to the potato mix rather than into the dressing (1/2 - 3/4 cup or to your liking). Also looking forward to trying it with Smoked Paprika for another layer of flavor--once I figure out where to buy it. Tip: I always save my left-over pickle juices, especially the sweet or bread n butter variety for use in dressings, meats, omlettes, etc. It can be used even if you don't have the actual relish on hand.Psalm 127-3: You must be a troll because I notice your comments are usually rude as well as unwarranted. I don't buy your phony Bible verse moniker either..."
"This potato salad is zingy and has a great kick! The idea of using roasted potatoes really brings out a smokiness. I enjoyed it thank you! Psalm 127-3: your review is neither helpful or makes sense."
"psalm 127-3 don't insult a recipe unless you've tried it. not very christiian of you. i enjoyed this verry much"
"today is July 4tth-happy 4th of July!of course potato salad is a staple at a holiday such as this where bbq's are on overload and everyone has had their meal planned for a while. about 6 weeks ago I made a potato salad from TOH website. had some catchy name made me want to make it regardless of my husband saying please just make your regular potato salad. it was a weird recipe but heck I'm game, like you blended the cooked eggs with rest of sauce. long story short I won't make this one either bcz this one is nothing like mine. who puts cayenne and paprika in their potato salad, I know I don't.today for holiday I did make my potato salad. my husband had a smile on is face, it is simple but it's what we like and expect."