Grilled Fajitas with Pico de Gallo
This is a good recipe when you’re pressed for time. The beef doesn’t need to marinate very long before grilling, and the accompanying vegetable relish is easy to stir up with just a few ingredients. It makes a delicious meal.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (3/4 inch thick and 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup diced zucchini
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/3 cup picante sauce
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- In a shallow dish, combine 2 tablespoons lime juice, oil and garlic; add steak and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- For pico de gallo, in a small bowl, combine the zucchini, tomato, picante sauce and remaining lime juice; set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Thinly slice steak across the grain; place on tortillas. Top with pico de gallo; roll up and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 518 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 635mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Quick Fajitas with Pico de Gallo in Country June/July 2006