We love eggplant Parmesan, but when it’s hot outside, the dish feels too heavy. Grilled eggplant slices topped with tomato, mozzarella and Parm satisfy everyone. —Joann Parlin, Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
Featured In: 31 Easy Vegetarian Recipes with 5 Ingredients
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large eggplant (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 log (1 pound) fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into sixteen slices
- 1 large tomato, cut into eight slices
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley
- Trim ends of eggplant; cut eggplant crosswise into eight slices. Sprinkle with salt; let stand 5 minutes.
- Blot eggplant dry with paper towels; brush both sides with oil and sprinkle with pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove from grill.
- Top eggplant with mozzarella cheese, tomato and Parmesan cheese. Grill, covered, 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese begins to melt. Top with basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Stacks in Simple & Delicious June/July 2016