Grilled Club Sandwich with Caramelized Onions
Leftover turkey slapped between two pieces of bread just won’t cut it. Let the feasting continue with a post-Christmas sammy filled with caramelized onions, cranberries, hot sauce and other club-style staples, all toasted into a hot, melty panini. —Linda Rohr, Darien,
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 bacon strips, cooked
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced cooked turkey
- 1 cup fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1/4 pound cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1/4 pound Stilton cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onions until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 20 minutes. Add dried cranberries; cook until onions are deep golden brown, 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat panini maker or indoor electric grill. Mix cranberry sauce, cilantro, mayonnaise and pepper sauce. Spread onto four bread slices; top with bacon, turkey, onion mixture, arugula, cheeses and remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- Cook sandwiches in panini maker until golden brown and cheese is melted, 4-5 minutes.
Editor's Note: Sandwiches can also be toasted in a skillet over medium heat until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted. If desired, flatten sandwiches while toasting by topping with a piece of foil and heavy skillet.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 883 calories, 53g fat (23g saturated fat), 192mg cholesterol, 1182mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 4g fiber), 50g protein.
Originally published as TLC Grilled Club Sandwich in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.