Here's a healthy version of one of my favorite Mexican dishes. The grilled peppers go great with Spanish rice, gazpacho or a refreshing salad with jicama and citrus. —Lori Nelson, Austin, Texas
Featured In: Stuffed Peppers Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large portobello mushroom cap, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large poblano peppers, halved and seeded
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, lime juice and 1/4 cup cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the mushroom, yellow squash, zucchini, jalapeno and garlic; saute 3-5 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the beans, 1-1/2 cups cheese, corn, cumin, salt, pepper and remaining cilantro. Remove from the heat. Spoon into poblano halves; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Grill peppers, covered, over indirect medium heat for 10-14 minutes or until tender. Serve with sour cream sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Chiles Rellenos in Country Woman March/April 2007, p27
Reviews forGrilled Chiles Rellenos
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 11, 2010
"The best vegetarian meal I've had!"
Reviewed Feb. 19, 2010
"Fantastic! Everyone loved this dish and agreed that there are so many variations that would be excellent!"
Reviewed Mar. 22, 2009
"This recipe does take some time to prep but it is worth it."