“Low in carbs, high in flavor, this chicken dish was created on the spur of the minute using veggies fresh from our garden,” writes Kenneth Dunn from Bedford, Kentucky. “It's delicious by itself or served over buttered noodles.” TIP: For variety, you might use bone-in chicken breasts instead of thighs or substitute lemon pepper for the seasoned pepper.
Recommended: 34 BBQ Side Dishes You Can Throw on the Grill
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 chicken thighs (4 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1/2 each medium green, sweet red and yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Rub both sides of chicken with oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place skin side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Turn; grill 5-6 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Place chicken on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Top with peppers, onion, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and remaining salt. Seal foil tightly. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes. Open foil carefully; add tomatoes. Reseal foil; grill 4-5 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear and vegetables are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Chicken Veggie Dinner in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005, p52