Grilled Cheese, Apricot and Jalapeno Sandwich
This grown-up grilled cheese recipe hits the spot with sweet and spicy add-ins like apricot jelly and jalapeno peppers. —Josh Rink, Taste of Home Food Stylist
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded Manchego or Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and sliced
- Spread 3 tablespoons butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place bread, butter side down, in a large skillet or electric griddle over medium-low heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes; remove. In a small bowl, combine cheddar, Monterey Jack and Gruyere. In another bowl, mix together remaining 3 tablespoons butter, mayonnaise, Manchego cheese and onion powder.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread apricot preserve on toasted side of 4 bread slices; add sliced jalapenos. Layer sliced brie over jalapenos; sprinkle cheddar cheese mixture evenly over brie. Top with remaining bread slices, toasted side facing inwards. Spread the butter-mayonnaise mixture on the outsides of each sandwich. Place in same skillet and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 709 calories, 49g fat (27g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 1026mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as The Best Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwich in tasteofhome.com