- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon yellow or Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 slices white or wheat bread
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute mushrooms and onion in 3 tablespoons mayonnaise for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender; cool. In a bowl, combine cheeses, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, cayenne, mushroom mixture and remaining mayonnaise; mix well. Spread 1/3 cup on six slices of bread; top with remaining bread. melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add sandwiches and cook until each side is golden brown and cheese is melted, adding additional butter if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forGrilled Blue Cheese Sandwiches
"Fantastic grilled cheese sandwich! Only thing we left out were the mushrooms. Creamy and full of flavor, what a great deviation from the traditional grilled cheese."