- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon yellow or Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 slices white or wheat bread
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in 3 tablespoons mayonnaise for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender; cool. In a large bowl, combine the cheeses, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, cayenne, mushroom mixture and remaining mayonnaise. Spread 1/3 cup on six slices of bread
- In a large skillet or griddle, melt 2-3 tablespoons butter. Toast sandwiches until bread is lightly browned on both sides and cheese is melted, adding butter if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forGrilled Blue Cheese Sandwiches
"I personally would give this a 3 star, but my husband says 5 star, so I averaged it out. I felt there wasn't quite enough blue cheese flavor. I also thought the mayo to be a bit overpowering and it made the grilled cheese feel heavy and greasy, and not in a good way. I think if I backed off on the mayo a bit it could have tasted a lot better. My husband thought it was perfect, didn't want to change anything."
"Fantastic grilled cheese sandwich! Only thing we left out were the mushrooms. Creamy and full of flavor, what a great deviation from the traditional grilled cheese."