Grilled Black Bean and Pineapple Burgers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Grill: 10 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crushed baked tortilla chip scoops
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons chopped green onion
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 slices unsweetened pineapple
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, mash beans. Add the red onion, eggs, bread crumbs, chips, green pepper, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and pepper sauce. Shape into six patties. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, green onion, mustard, honey, orange juice and soy sauce; refrigerate until serving.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Grill or broil pineapple slices for 2-3 minutes on each side or until heated through. Place burgers and pineapple on buns; top each with 1 rounded tablespoon of sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 357 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 11g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 17, 2013
These burgers are moist and tasty. Even carnivores like them!
Apr 26, 2012
We love these burgers. My husband is a meat eater and he loves them. I've even made them for company and every time they request the recipe. I use a food processor to chop everything and add black beans last.
Feb 7, 2011
One of my FAVORITES!! I bake them in the oven though. Super yummy!
Jun 27, 2010
Loved it as is! Maybe next time I will try it with crushed pineapple mixed in it instead of sliced on top.
Sep 12, 2009
These were WONDERFUL!!! The sauce was unique and the grilled pineapple made them extra special. My boys ate 1-1/2 of them and my hubby 2-1/2!!! Very good!
Jul 30, 2008
I thought these burgers were very easy to make and the sauce that you make with it, gives it much more of a taste. My kids and my husband loved it.