Grilled Beef Teriyaki
Pineapple juice and soy sauce combine to make an easy and delightful marinade in this sweet-savory recipe that’s a favorite with Lou Dubrule in El Paso, Texas. TASTY TIP: For a sizzling variation on her Grilled Beef Teriyaki, Lou Dubrule suggests cutting the flank steak in cubes, then marinating and cooking on skewers. Also, the pineapple-soy sauce marinade is great on chicken, she adds
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 20 min.
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/4-in. slices
- Score surface of steak, making shallow diagonal cuts. In a bowl, combine the broth, pineapple juice, soy sauce, lemon juice, honey and ginger.
- Pour 1 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning once or twice. Add onion to remaining marinade; cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours, stirring several times.
- Drain and discard marinade. On a greased grill rack, grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, place onion slices on a grilling grid lightly coated with cooking oil; place on a grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6 minutes on each side or until tender. Thinly slice steak across the grain; serve with grilled onion.
Editor's Note: If you do not have a grilling grid, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liqid to drain.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 196 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Grilled Beef Teriyaki in Light & Tasty August/September 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.