I created this recipe when I didn't have the ingredients for my go-to dish. After making this, it became my new favorite! —Jackie Burns, Kettle Falls, Washington
Featured In: 40 Tex-Mex Recipes Bursting With Southwestern Flavor
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Reduced-fat sour cream and guacamole, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in chilies, salsa and cumin.
- Spoon 1/2 cup beef mixture across center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold bottom and sides of tortilla over filling and roll up.
- Place chimichangas on grill rack, seam side down. Grill, covered, over medium-low heat 10-12 minutes or until crisp and browned, turning once. If desired, serve with sour cream and guacamole. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Beef Chimichangas in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p100