Grilled Beef Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 8 multigrain hamburger buns, split
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 tomato slices
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with lettuce and tomato.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 351 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 530mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 16, 2018
We had these yummy hamburgers tonight. I followed the recipe except I cooked them on the stove because it was so hot outside. They are very moist and I think cooking them on the stove kept them from falling apart. Volunteer Field Editor
Jul 5, 2012
I didn't have hamburger so used ground turkey instead. The meat mixture was too loose to make on a grill so I made them in a grill pan on top of the stove. They turned out okay. I didn't really care for the flavor. I might try this again and use hamburger to see if they come out differently but with all of the other recipes out there for burgers, I probably won't make it again.
May 26, 2010
The flavor is excellent, the meat tender, melts in your mouth. Will make this recipe over and over again.
May 5, 2010
I followed this to a tee. The burgers stuck to the grill and came off in chunks. They didn't taste like a hamburger at all and had a weird consistency. They were edible but thats about it.
Aug 1, 2008
Is there any way to loose some of the fat and calories?