Grilled Beef Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 8 multigrain hamburger buns, split
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 tomato slices
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with lettuce and tomato.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 351 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 530mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jul 16, 2018
We had these yummy hamburgers tonight. I followed the recipe except I cooked them on the stove because it was so hot outside. They are very moist and I think cooking them on the stove kept them from falling apart. Volunteer Field Editor
Jul 5, 2012
I didn't have hamburger so used ground turkey instead. The meat mixture was too loose to make on a grill so I made them in a grill pan on top of the stove. They turned out okay. I didn't really care for the flavor. I might try this again and use hamburger to see if they come out differently but with all of the other recipes out there for burgers, I probably won't make it again.
May 26, 2010
The flavor is excellent, the meat tender, melts in your mouth. Will make this recipe over and over again.
May 5, 2010
I followed this to a tee. The burgers stuck to the grill and came off in chunks. They didn't taste like a hamburger at all and had a weird consistency. They were edible but thats about it.
Aug 1, 2008
Is there any way to loose some of the fat and calories?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.