Grilled Bacon-Onion Appetizers Recipe
- 2 large sweet onions
- 12 hickory-smoked bacon strips
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1. Cut each onion into 12 wedges. Cut bacon strips in half widthwise; wrap a piece of bacon around each onion wedge and secure with toothpicks. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- 2. Combine the brown sugar, vinegar, molasses and barbecue sauce; pour 1/2 cup over onions. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning once. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Grill onions, covered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade. Yield: 2 dozen.
2 each: 181 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Grilled Bacon-Onion Appetizers
"This was a really tasty recipe. Make sure you secure the bacon to the onion so it doesn't fall apart!"
"I totally messed up the recipe, and yet it still worked perfectly. I BBQ'd on my Dad's grill, and it was too hot. So the bacon burned a bit, and the onions weren't as tender as I'd have liked. But, oh man, that sauce, the taste and texture combo is off the charts, and has me ready to make them again. They definitely go into the "Yummy" file. :)"
"The "grilling" can be done under the broiler too. You don't get the smoke flavor of the bbq, but they are still tasty. I've made these for church picnics and come home with an empty tray. I recently made them for my parents 50th anniversary reception. Of several appetizers available, this one was the first to disappear. I personally think they are addictive - you can't eat just one!"
"You've gotta try this recipe!!! easy and rave reviews. I serve all summer long and everyone requests the recipe. Flavor is fantastic and you along with your family/guests will enjoy"
"can these be done in the oven?"
"These onions are really good, and I make them every barbecue season."