Greens and Sprouts Salad
Bean sprouts, water chestnuts and chow mein noodles give this crunchy green salad an Asian flair. It's tossed with bacon, eggs and a tangy homemade French dressing for added appeal. -Daria Burcar Rochester, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 can (28 ounces) bean sprouts, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles
- FRENCH DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- In a large salad bowl, toss the spinach, lettuce, eggs, bacon, bean sprouts and water chestnuts. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles. In a blender, combine the dressing ingredients; cover and process until blended. Serve with salad.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 281 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Greens and Sprouts Salad in Taste of Home February/March 2005