Greens and Beans Turkey Soup
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12-pound turkey)
- 9 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place turkey carcass in a stockpot; add water, celery and onion. Slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- 2. Remove carcass and cool. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined colander; discard vegetables. Skim fat. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-sized pieces; discard bones. Return broth and meat to pot.
- 3. Add beans, spinach, chopped onion, bouillon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
1 cup: 105 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Nov 30, 2016
Very good soup...even better because it was made for me!! DH used escarole instead of spinach. The bone broth is far superior to boxed broth or bouillon, IMO.