- 4 cups finely chopped green tomatoes
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Drain tomatoes on paper towels for 10 minutes. In a saucepan, combine tomatoes, 1 cup of brown sugar and lemon juice. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in extract; set aside.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and remaining brown sugar. Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats and nuts. Press 2-1/2 cups on a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spread tomato mixture over crust. Crumble remaining oat mixture on top. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forGreen Tomato Bars
"My friend Jeannie made these and gave me some. They are GOOD! Next year when I have some green tomatoes I'll make it."
"There wasn't enough green tomato / sugar filling to spread out over the crust. I would suggest doubling the tomato & sugar mixture."