"My husband, Wayne, asks for this meat loaf all the time," reports Edna Lauderdale of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. "We like it spicy, so we use hot sausage rather than mild. Slices are terrific drizzled with ketchup, served with mashed potatoes and gravy, or in meat loaf sandwiches the next day."
Recommended: 47 Meals Your Toddler Will Devour
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, green peppers, onion, celery leaves, parsley and soup mix. Crumble beef and sausage over the mixture and mix well. Shape into a 12x4-in. loaf.
- Place on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Place bacon strips over top if desired. Bake 45-60 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 14 slices.
Originally published as Green Pepper Meat Loaf in Quick Cooking January/February 2000, p52