Green Onion Potato Rolls
The mild green onion flavor of these tender rolls appeals to all. I keep the ingredients on hand so I can bake up a batch on a moment's notice.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/4 cups mashed potato flakes, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 to 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 eggs
- All-purpose flour
- In a bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, 1 cup potato flakes, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk, butter and onions to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add eggs; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Dip each ball into remaining potato flakes. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 147 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Green Onion Potato Rolls in Best of Country Breads