Green Chili Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 8 to 10 Anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled and chopped or 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried coriander
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, brown beef and pork; drain. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 247 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
May 29, 2014
I'd give it a 2 as it's written. I made it just as the recipe stated except I didn't have coriander. I found that there wasn't enough liquid in the recipe. I put the potatoes in last and they sat on top of other ingredients and didn't even get wet. I added 3 cups of beef broth and simmered it. Once it was finished I decided not to serve it until the next day (soup is better the second day anyway). When I heated it up on day 2, it was on the bland side and still needed more liquid. I added 2 more cups of beef broth and 2 teaspoons cumin. That did the trick. I'd rate it a 4 with the changes. I did use roasted Anaheim peppers so maybe my peppers weren't flavorful enough.
Nov 9, 2011
I use the 3 cans of chopped green chilies, love this recipe!
Oct 19, 2008
We love this stew. There is nothing negative to say about this recipe. I make this often in the winter months.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.