Seasoned beans and ground turkey are layered with cheese, corn and an egg mixture, then baked until golden. “This is a warm, comforting, low-fat meal that we always enjoy.” Kathleen Smith - Pittsburg, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 35 Dinners That Start With Ranch
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle half of the chilies and cheese into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with bean mixture, corn and remaining chilies and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining salt. In another small bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk and pepper sauce; gradually whisk into flour mixture until smooth. Pour over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with red onion and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Green Chili Luncheon Bake in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008, p46
Reviews forGreen Chili Luncheon Bake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 7, 2011