"I enjoyed a sandwich similar to this in a restaurant and decided to try making it at home," writes Paula Morigeau of Hot Springs, Montana. "The spicy chicken is a quick-and-easy alternative to hamburgers when entertaining outdoors."
Recommended: 75 Winning Recipes For Your Super Bowl Potluck
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) whole green chilies, drained and sliced lengthwise
- 4 slices Pepper Jack cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 kaiser or sandwich rolls, split
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Place in a large resealable plastic bag.
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and oil. Set aside 1/4 cup for basting. Pour the remaining marinade over chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill chicken, uncovered, over medium heat for 3 minutes. Turn and baste with reserved marinade; grill 3 minutes longer or until no longer pink.
- Top each with a green chili and cheese slice; cover and grill for 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on rolls. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Green Chili Chicken Sandwiches in Quick Cooking March/April 2001, p10
Reviews forGreen Chili Chicken Sandwiches
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 3, 2014
"So good!!!! We added bacon & it was great!!!"
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2012