Green Beans with Tomatoes & Basil
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 shallot, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Place green beans in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet saute shallot in butter until tender. Add the garlic, sugar, lemon juice, salt, parsley and pepper; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in beans and tomatoes; heat through. Sprinkle with basil.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 83 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jan 5, 2019
Was not sure how these were going to come out - based on the ingredients... but this side dish became my main dish tonight because it was soooo tasty!
Mar 14, 2012
Will make this again and again. Wonderful flavor but I will not steam the vegetables. That took forever at high altitude!! I had to boil the beans after steaming for 20 min. and they still were not done.
Jan 16, 2012
Very tasty! Could've eaten the shallot mixture all by itself - very good flavors which complemented each other nicely!
May 9, 2011
It's unique in a marvelous way. Absolutely delicious and beautiful. Even the left overs got eaten the next day!
Apr 25, 2011
This dish not only looks great it has a delicious taste.
Apr 14, 2011
Very tasty! Found it in the magazine, though - good thing, as this post does not have the ingredients written out!