Green Beans with Smoked Turkey Bacon
I really like cooking with curry, and this is a wonderful slow cooker favorite of mine. Made with fresh green beans, turkey bacon and garbanzo beans, at has loads of flavor. Keep this recipe in mind especially for the summer when green beans are in abundance. It can be a main dish or a side dish. For vegetarians, eliminate the bacon. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 8 turkey bacon strips, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Place first 4 ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Add to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix tomatoes, lemon juice, parsley, garlic and dry seasonings. Pour over bean mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low until green beans are tender, 5-6 hours. Stir in basil. Top with cheese before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 168 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Curried Green Beans With Smoked Turkey Bacon in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018