Green Beans with Cherry Tomatoes
I FOUND that beans, basil and tomatoes make a very tasty combination of flavors, especially in summer, when all these ingredients can be garden fresh. I like to serve this pretty vegetable dish when entertaining. It's so colorful! -Shirley Heare, Fayetteville, North Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- Place beans and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet; stir in the sugar, basil, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes; saute until tender. Drain beans; top with tomato mixture. Garnish with basil.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 88 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Green Beans with Cherry Tomatoes in Reminisce July/August 2000