Green Beans with Bacon and Tomatoes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup)
- 1 package (14 ounces) thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen cut green beans
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon seasoned pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender.
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine green beans, tomatoes, brown sugar, pepper, salt, bacon and onion. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours. Stir in red beans. Cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 162 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 538mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Oct 16, 2013
Wonderful! I forgot to add the red beans at the end of the cooking time. Very yummy. Needs a little more time than 4 hours on low; I cranked my crock pot up to high with an hour until serving time. I too think the sugar could be omitted, but they are delightful! These would be good for a holiday meal as you could make them and forget them while prepping other items.
Oct 14, 2013
This was an easy side dish for the crock pot. I would leave the brown sugar out, if I were to make this again, because I think the tomatoes add enough sweetness.
Aug 27, 2013
This green bean dish was easy to prepare and tasty. I like the ease of using a crock pot.
Aug 17, 2013
Made it for a Church Potluck and everyone loved it.. Had some leftover and hubby thought they were delicious. So I am sure I will be making again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.