Green Beans with Bacon and Tomatoes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup)
- 1 package (14 ounces) thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen cut green beans
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon seasoned pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender.
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine green beans, tomatoes, brown sugar, pepper, salt, bacon and onion. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours. Stir in red beans. Cook until heated through, about 30 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 162 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 538mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 16, 2013
Wonderful! I forgot to add the red beans at the end of the cooking time. Very yummy. Needs a little more time than 4 hours on low; I cranked my crock pot up to high with an hour until serving time. I too think the sugar could be omitted, but they are delightful! These would be good for a holiday meal as you could make them and forget them while prepping other items.
Oct 14, 2013
This was an easy side dish for the crock pot. I would leave the brown sugar out, if I were to make this again, because I think the tomatoes add enough sweetness.
Aug 27, 2013
This green bean dish was easy to prepare and tasty. I like the ease of using a crock pot.
Aug 17, 2013
Made it for a Church Potluck and everyone loved it.. Had some leftover and hubby thought they were delicious. So I am sure I will be making again.