Green Beans in Lemon Chiffon Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped green onion
- Place beans in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, broth, and cheese until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Add butter, one piece at a time, whisking after each addition until butter is melted.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the lemon juice, parsley and onion. Drain beans; top with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 141 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 15, 2014
This was an interesting recipe. At first I absolutely hated it, I did not like the taste of the sauce over the green beans at all. I was actually planning to walk to the sink and dump it down the garbage disposal. Then I decided to dip my slightly dry steak in the sauce and I loved it!! I am planning to heat up the leftovers tomorrow and eat it that way. Nice surprise, I hate wasting food.
Feb 20, 2010
Delicious! A great way to jazz up green beans for a fancy meal. I used frozen green beans and they worked just fine.~ Theresa
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.