Green Beans in Beer Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/3 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1/3 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the beans, beer and butter to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Remove beans with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, cornstarch and onion until blended. Stir into the saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add beans; heat through. Sprinkle with bacon.
Jan 31, 2016
Just added this recipe to my cookbook. The only change I made was to increased the onion to 1 tablespoon, think I might fine chop the onion & make it 2 -3 tablespoon. I also might try apple cider vinegar as suggested.
Jul 23, 2011
These were okay. I used fresh green beans instead of frozen. Maybe too much vinegar for my taste buds.
May 7, 2011
I actually modified this recipe right away. Instead of corn starch and white vinegar (I had neither on hand) I used approx one and 1/3 tablespoon of flour and white wine vinegar. I also didn't have any bacon, but was making brats in a bottle of smithwicks beer (which was why I was looking for a beer sauce in the first place). I followed the directions for the beans, and just added the rest of the beer to my brats. Once my string beans were mostly cooked, I added the rest of the butter/beer mixture into the pan with the brats and finished the sauce, in that pan, after removing the brats. It came out quite tasty if I may say so.
Jan 27, 2011
This recipe was very odd. It smelled good, but did not look too good once cooked. The sauce was very thick. The taste was something that neither my husband or 3 kids liked. I did not like the taste at first, but it did start to grow on me. Definitely not my favorite recipe, but it was nice to try something different. I am glad I tried it once, but unfortunately, I will pass on this recipe in the future.
Feb 22, 2010
I actually made this recipe twice because I couldn't believe how bad it was the first time around. Round 2 was just as bad as round 1.
Jan 25, 2010
I made this for a potluck and it was a hit. Might try apple cider vinegar for more flavor next time. We really liked sauce. Leftover were good too!
Jan 19, 2010
Something different....The Family loved it!!
Jan 12, 2010
Served for company, everyone raved!
Jan 12, 2010
I made this recipe Sunday and we liked this recipe.
Jan 11, 2010
Neither my husband or I cared for this recipe. Beans were sticky and lacked flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.