Green Bean Salad with Bacon
Serve it warm or chilled—this salad is versatile and ready for any occasion.—Cynthia M. Bent, Neward, Delaware
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 4-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- Add onions to drippings; cook and stir until tender. Stir in vinegar, sugars and salt until blended. Add beans; toss and heat through. Top with bacon.
Originally published as Sweet and Sour Green Beans in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.