- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 6 cups cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onions and beans in remaining butter for 18-20 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Add the thyme, salt, pepper, cream cheese, milk and mushrooms. Cook and stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, dill and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sour cream to form a soft dough. Divide dough in half. On a well-floured surface, roll out one portion to fit a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge.
- Pour green bean mixture into crust. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edge. In a small bowl, beat the egg and cream; brush over lattice top. Bake at 400° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forGreen Bean Mushroom Pie
"Delicious recipe! I made this for the first time, years ago. This is one I never forgot."
"I love this pie. I made it several years ago when it first appeared in your magazine. I just get a craving for it every once in awhile. So different! Yummy!"
"I love this pie, I get a craving for it every once in a while. I made it when it appeared in you magazine many years ago."
"This is sooooo great I make it as often as I canIf you haven't tried this you have no idea what you are missing"