Green Bean Fritters
A few years ago during bean season, a friend of mine shared this recipe with me. It is now a must-have at our place every summer.—Sharon Dyck, Roxton Falls, Quebec
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 green onions
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut green tops from onions (save white portion for another use). Cut tops into narrow strips; soften in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and rinse in cold water. Wrap each strip round a bundle of eight green beans; gently tie a knot.
- Place 1/2 in. of water in a large skillet; add bean bundles and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until lemon-colored. Stir in the flour, pepper and remaining salt. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Dip bean bundles in batter; fry a few at a time until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine salsa ingredients. Serve with fritters.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 106 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Green Bean Fritters in Country Extra July 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.