Greek Vegetable Bake
"My mom got the recipe for this zucchini and green bean casserole from an authentic Greek cook years ago. The ingredients originally included olive oil, but we omitted it...and it tastes even better!" writes Angela Berry, Coon Rapids, Minnesota.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 pound zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 small carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large potato, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices and quartered
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of beans, zucchini, carrots, potato, onion and celery. Top with half of tomato sauce. Combine the seasonings and sprinkle half over tomato sauce. Repeat layers (dish will be full). Cover and bake at 350° for 70-80 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 75 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 564mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Greek Vegetable Bake in Light & Tasty October/November 2004