Greek Spice Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 tablespoons plus 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Grease 10-in. fluted tube pan with shortening; lightly coat with 2 tablespoons flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugars, oil, buttermilk, eggs and extracts until well blended. Combine the remaining flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and baking soda; gradually beat into the sugar mixture until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 504 calories, 29g fat (3g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 346mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 10, 2015
I made this using gluten free one for one flour and it was moist and delicious!
Mar 24, 2015
Very good. The spices are just enough to give it good flavor. I used walnuts instead of pecans. Liked it much better.
May 26, 2012
I just made the recipe for second time because it's soooo good. I split the recipe into two pans so we could freeze one. The one that went to the freezer didn't get to freeze because we ate the other one so fast. Jim in Amarillo
Dec 14, 2011
The flavor of the cake was very good.
Dec 10, 2011
So easy to make and my family loved it. I'm about to make the second one this week.
Oct 27, 2011
If the scent of this cake baking could be captured, a person could make a mint. This cake fills the kitchen with the most wonderful aroma while baking, and the best part is that it tastes as good or better. My husband loved this recipe and it is a perfect fall or winter dessert to have just for fun or bring to get togethers. I made the recipe exactly as written and it turned out beautifully. The only thing I didn't do was put on the confectioner sugar b/c my hubby couldn't wait till the cake completely cooled to cut two big slabs. Also, the cake stays moist for a few days after baking which is a huge bonus. Thanks for a GREAT recipe.
Oct 20, 2011
Sep 30, 2011
This is truly delicious! I made it a couple of weeks ago and I'm making it again tomorrow for my aunt's birthday. This is sure to become a standby favorite!
Sep 29, 2011
Excellent spice cake. Made it for a football tailgate and everyone loved it. Spices taste and smell wonderful.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.