Greek Lemon Turkey
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 turkey (16 to 20 pounds)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup dried oregano
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 5 large onions, quartered
- 6 large potatoes, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 5 medium carrots, quartered
- Make several deep slits in the turkey; insert a garlic slice into each slit. Combine the oregano, lemon juice, salt and pepper; rub over turkey. Place flour in oven bag and shake well. Place turkey in bag and close. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Place oven bag in a roasting pan at least 2 in. deep. Add onions, potatoes and carrots to bag. Close bag with nylon tie provided (do not allow oven bag to hang over pan). Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until thermometer reads 180°. Remove turkey from bag. Let stand for 20 minutes before carving. Keep vegetables warm. Serve turkey and vegetables with drippings.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 516 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 57g protein.
Nov 23, 2011
This will be my third year making this turkey recipe. My husband LOVES it and requests it specifically. The oregano gives the turkey a great flavor. The only down fall I have for this recipe is making gravy from the drippings, I just don't like the taste. Easy fix, I just make a separate gravy!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.