Greek Islands Steak Salad
I invented this recipe while watching a movie set on the Greek islands. I like the combination of warm grilled steak and sauteed mushrooms with cold salad ingredients. —Chris Wells, Lake Villa, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 boneless beef top loin steak (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon A.1. steak sauce
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sherry or chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 10 pitted Greek olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared balsamic vinaigrette
- Rub steak on both sides with steak sauce; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until golden brown. Add the sherry, salt and pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes longer or until liquid is evaporated. Set aside and keep warm.
- Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Divide salad greens between two plates. Top with tomatoes, cucumber, olives, onion, steak and mushrooms. Sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteTop loin steak may be labeled as strip steak, Kansas City steak, New York strip steak, ambassador steak or boneless club steak in your region.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 509 calories, 32g fat (13g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 1281mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Captain Corelli's Greek Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2010