Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) unsliced French bread
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium cucumber, sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 lettuce leaves
- For hummus, in a food processor, combine the lemon juice, oil and beans; cover and process until smooth. Stir in the garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Slice bread in half horizontally. Carefully hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Spread hummus into shell. Layer with the red peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, olives, cheese and lettuce. Replace bread top. Cut into four portions.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 350 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 1219mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 9g fiber), 12g protein.
Jul 27, 2010
I thought it needed just a little something else so i drizzled the sandwiches with about 1 tsp. of vinaigrette. The dressing definitely spiced up my meal!
Dec 9, 2009
I love vegetable sandwiches, actually, I call them "salad sandwiches", I omit the humus, and use mayonnaise spread on the bread. And I use as many fresh vegetables as I can.