I had to bake something from my heritage for school. I made these little drops of heaven called kourabiedes. —Rebecca Sprague, St. Louis, Missouri
Recommended: 73 Reasons to Get Behind Meatless Monday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound butter, melted and cooled
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, beat butter and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar until blended. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking powder; gradually stir into creamed mixture until blended (mixture will be crumbly). Shape heaping tablespoons of dough into crescents. Place 1-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool 15 minutes.
- Place remaining sugar in a small bowl. Toss slightly cooled cookies in sugar; return cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Toss cookies in sugar once more before serving. Store in an airtight container, adding any remaining confectioners' sugar to cover cookies. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Greek Butter Crescents in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2015, p35