Great-Grandma’s Prune Roll
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups pitted dried plums
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, shortening, egg yolks, sugar and salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large saucepan, cook plums in water 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Mash; add sugar and lemon juice. Cook for 8-10 minutes over low heat until thickened. Cool and refrigerate.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 3-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Dot with butter; sprinkle with cinnamon. Spread about 1/3 cup plum filling down the center of each.
- Fold a third of the dough lengthwise over filling. Fold remaining dough over top; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down in two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours or until doubled.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 257 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 18, 2018
I have been making this very recipe for many years. My husband asked me to find a "prune bread" like the one his grandma used to make. He said this one is very similar to the one she made. He always requests that I double the batch of filling, because he likes to put it on top of his slice of prune roll and sometimes in his yogurt at breakfast as well.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.