Great-Grandma’s Prune Roll
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups pitted dried plums
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, shortening, egg yolks, sugar and salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large saucepan, cook plums in water 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Mash; add sugar and lemon juice. Cook for 8-10 minutes over low heat until thickened. Cool and refrigerate.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 3-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Dot with butter; sprinkle with cinnamon. Spread about 1/3 cup plum filling down the center of each.
- Fold a third of the dough lengthwise over filling. Fold remaining dough over top; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down in two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours or until doubled.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 257 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 18, 2018
I have been making this very recipe for many years. My husband asked me to find a "prune bread" like the one his grandma used to make. He said this one is very similar to the one she made. He always requests that I double the batch of filling, because he likes to put it on top of his slice of prune roll and sometimes in his yogurt at breakfast as well.