Great Grain Pilaf
Bored with boiled rice? Try this fun pilaf from Joyce Graves of Sterling Heights, Michigan. "This pilaf is mild tasting and a great way to include fiber in your diet," writes Joyce. "Because I like experimenting with different grains, I buy at a bulk food store. Being able to purchase just the amount you need for a recipe is a real advantage."
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender. Add the rice, bulgur and barley; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- 2. Gradually stir in the broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until grains are tender and broth is absorbed. Stir in parsley.
2/3 cup: 154 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC