- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1 tablespoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 12 sandwich rolls
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- Place first five ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; cool slightly. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- Place egg substitute and cottage cheese in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in mushrooms, oats, onion, parsley and seasonings. Add mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and rice mixture; mix well. Using 1/2 cupfuls mixture, shape mixture into patties, pressing firmly.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat; cook four patties until lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining patties and oil. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forGreat Grain Burgers
"These are great. I did change a few things either I didn't have it and substituted it with something else or I wanted to make it a bit lower in fat. I added a 1/4 cup of red lentils to the rice and bulgur mixture. I did not have mushrooms so I added shredded zuchinni and carrot. I did not add the mozzarella or cheddar. I had a half of can of tomato paste or I mixed that with the egg whites instead of the cottage cheese. I also did not add the celery seed. After making the patties I refrigerated until I was ready to grilled on the grill. These held up fantastic, did not break apart while I was flipping over several times. The taste is great but I only got 9 burgers. I also too patted the mixture tightly into a 1/2 measuring cup and firmly patted them into shape. I will definitely be making these over and over. Thanks so much for a great recipe."
"I love this recipe, but have a problem keeping the burgers from falling apart. Any suggestions?"
"I've tried many recipes for vegetarian burgers; this is the best one yet. Press mixture firmly into patties so they don't fall apart when browning."