Grapefruit Layer Cake
I grew up in Florida where we had 10 grapefruit trees and were constantly trying to use the fruit in different ways. This luscious cake was one of my "grapefruit experiments." A nice, bright citrus taste shines through in every moist bite. —Sara Pleso, Sparta, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling.
- OVEN-DRIED CITRUS SLICES:
- 2 grapefruit slices
- 2 orange slices
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup white grapefruit juice
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) plus 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons grated grapefruit zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place grapefruit and orange slices on a greased and foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 170° for about 2 hours or until dried (fruit will be slightly tacky). Remove to wire racks. Let stand for 2-3 days or until completely dried.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and lemon zest; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and grapefruit juice. Beat just until combined.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 21-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, citrus zests and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with citrus slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without garnishes): 624 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 391mg sodium, 101g carbohydrate (76g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.