I grew up in Florida where we had 10 grapefruit trees and were constantly trying to use the fruit in different ways. This luscious cake was one of my "grapefruit experiments." A nice, bright citrus taste shines through in every moist bite. —Sara Pleso, Sparta, Tennessee
Featured In: Cake Recipes Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- OVEN-DRIED CITRUS SLICES:
- 2 grapefruit slices
- 2 orange slices
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup white grapefruit juice
- 3 packages (two 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons grated grapefruit peel
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place grapefruit and orange slices on a greased and foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 170° for about 2 hours or until dried (fruit will be slightly tacky). Remove to wire racks. Let stand for 2-3 days or until completely dried.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and lemon peel; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and grapefruit juice. Beat just until combined.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 21-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, citrus peels and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with citrus slices. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Grapefruit Layer Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p13