You'll easily impress guests with this dessert. It takes some time to prepare, but the rave reviews I receive make it all worth it. —Peg Atzen, Hackensack, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 large grapefruit
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 maraschino cherries
- Halve grapefruit and section; remove membranes. Return grapefruit sections to grapefruit halves. Drizzle 1/4 teaspoon rum extract over each. Top with 1 rounded tablespoon of whipped cream; Place on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cornstarch and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Mound 1/2 cup on each grapefruit half; spread meringue to edges to seal. Bake at 350° until meringue is browned, 15 minutes. Top each with a cherry. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1/2 grapefruit: 152 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 26mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Grapefruit Alaska in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.