You'll easily impress guests with this dessert. It takes some time to prepare, but the rave reviews I receive make it all worth it. —Peg Atzen, Hackensack, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 large grapefruit
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 maraschino cherries
- Halve grapefruit and section; remove membranes. Return grapefruit sections to grapefruit halves. Drizzle 1/4 teaspoon rum extract over each. Top with 1 rounded tablespoon of whipped cream; Place on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cornstarch and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Mound 1/2 cup on each grapefruit half; spread meringue to edges to seal. Bake at 350° until meringue is browned, 15 minutes. Top each with a cherry. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1/2 grapefruit: 152 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 26mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Grapefruit Alaska in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002