Whole wheat flour and granola add wholesome goodness to this moist bread. "With its not-too-sweet, it's nice topped with jam, jelly, cream cheese or honey butter for breakfast," reports Star Pooley of Paradise, California.
Recommended: 7 Surprising Foods That Cause Gas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granola without raisins
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (2 pounds).
Originally published as Granola Wheat Bread in Quick Cooking November/December 2002, p34