VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granola without raisins, crushed
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups granola without raisins, crushed
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, butter, eggs, honey and salt; mix well. Add granola and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a well-floured surface. Roll into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Combine filling ingredients; spread over dough. Cut lengthwise into three strips. Roll up each strip jelly-roll style, beginning at a long side; pinch edges and ends to seal well.
- Place ropes seam side down on a well-greased baking sheet. Braid ropes together (do not stretch); seal ends. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; frost warm braid. Cool before slicing. Yield: 1 loaf (24 slices).
Originally published as Granola Honey Braid in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p94