Granola Blueberry Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granola without raisins, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, whisk flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir in 1/2 cup granola. In another bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, oil and juices until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups three-fourths full; sprinkle remaining granola over batter. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each muffin on high for 20-30 seconds or until heated through.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 188 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 18, 2017
These were flavorful and easy. They are a healthier alternative to really sweet muffins. You may not like them if you have a big sweet tooth.
Dec 14, 2016
In general, these muffins were very easy to make with semi unique ingredients such as granola, orange juice and lemon juice, but not so different that they aren't common to have. They rose nicely, had a moist texture but really needed more sugar. In the future, I would probably add another 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.
Jul 27, 2016
These muffins need SUGAR! They were like eating bread. They are not very good at all and my husband won't eat them.
Jul 12, 2015
Delicious. Am going to try next batch using honey
Dec 29, 2014
Sounds great, I'll try it New Year day. Thanks