Granny's Gingerbread Cake with Caramel Sauce Recipe
The rich molasses and spice flavor of this old-time dessert is complemented with a buttery caramel sauce.—Joy Sparks, Muskegon, Michigan
- 9 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
- 3. For caramel sauce, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until smooth. Serve with warm cake. Top with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 497 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Granny's Gingerbread Cake with Caramel Sauce
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC